Saturday, July 19, 2014

Charlie Haden 1937 - 2014 : My Farewell


Charles Edward "Charlie" Haden (August 6, 1937 – July 11, 2014)

By Leonardo Barroso
In 1990, as I began my personal journey through jazz, one of my early favorite record from 1991 was Charlie Haden’s Quartet West “Haunted Heart” (My wife’s favorite jazz cd), and until this moment one of my great cd’s to listen to.
But my decision to hear it, was that C.Haden was already giving us great albums with Enrico Pieranunzi, Gonzalo Rubalcaba’s two first cd’s, Kenny Barron, Carla Bley and many more.
Several of my beloved recordings of piano & bass, has Haden on the helm with masters like Kenny Barron, Chris Anderson, Laurence Hobgood, Paul Bley, and Pat Metheny (guitar).
I couldn’t end this thank you article, without expressing my gratitude, from a truly thankful jazz maniac, and I’ll be truly on his debt for showing me one of the greatest underrated piano master: Alan Broadbent.
Thanks for the journey Charlie Haden lead me, and for showing jazz greatest treasure: the possibility of playing anything!

No comments: